Wednesday, 30 March 2016

Post Apocalyptic Ninja


I'm writing this on a Wednesday morning while listening to a Contracts lecture recording. I'm reassuring myself that I'm still taking notes where I hear something important or interesting, but who knows really. Law is a lot of study, and a lot of repeating the mantra: 'I love law', while feeling overwhelmed by the never ending lists of cases, and persisting with my Japanese Mildliners and yellow post it notes. But there is always some silver lining, like how great the shoot Tara and I squeezed in last Thursday turned out.

Shooting with somebody new is always a really fresh experience. It's riddled with unknowns. Somebody new won't know how I work behind the camera, and what things I look for in a photo, and what I might like them to do in the shot. Everyone has different feelings about what they want in a photo, or what they'd like you to capture, and how they feel and act in front of the camera. Everybody is a little different, and shooting with somebody new is honestly a magical experience in that it feels like the beginning of a really special relationship. Every time Tara told me she really liked a certain shot, I felt that I was learning something more about her, and I was getting closer to capturing who she was. I think it's important to take photos of people where they themselves feel like that image of them really does capture how they feel and see themselves. After all, it's their face, their body - surely I have a duty as a photographer to endeavour to portray them at a level which feels real and accurate to them. It's not just my perspective that matters.


I think it's this that gives me the most satisfaction when it comes to photography. Portraiture gives me a unique opportunity to get to know somebody, and also to do something for them. To make somebody feel that this image that I've taken of them really feels like who they are is a really big deal, and makes me glad that I do photography at all. It's one way where I can give back to the people I care about, or just use my skill for other people's happiness. That itself is very valuable. My photographs don't necessarily need to make me money for me to feel like photography is worth it. If I'm doing something that makes people happy, and that somebody can connect with, I think I can be happy.

A word on Tara: she has a really unique sense of style. I don't come across many people who dress like Tara - she uses colours in a way that I personally couldn't fathom, and the silhouettes she creates with her clothes are such a marvel. On many levels, she is fashion goals, and I'd like to learn more from her just by observing and spending more time with her. If anything, I just want to watch the explosion of colour and texture and pattern that is Tara and I hope to run into her on campus soon. I feel we had really great conversations and just had so much fun getting to know each other as we explored parts of the city that were right under our noses but had never been to. This is also something I like about portrait/fashion photography - inevitably, you grow closer to the person in front of your camera the more time you spend with them. You get to know their likes and dislikes on an aesthetic level, as well as their insecurities, as well as parts of themselves they really embrace and are proud of. You find out more about who they are and what they do and what they care about. In between newly-discovered alleyways and crouching in the grass, you become friends.

It's true that photography for me, is often a gateway into a friendship. It's perhaps not the most organic way for a friendship to blossom, but it is my style. I hope to be having many more of these adventures, in between endless law readings and sushi at that spot in market city.

Checking out for now (and checking into my Contracts textbook). Have a good rest of the week, kids.
M, x

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.